Saturday, April 28, 2007

Stupid Typos...

So...I was knitting along on the lace, and decided to stretch it out and see how it looked. There it was! Gasp! The bottom row didn't match up. I looked at the pattern. Hmmm... I did everything right. Since I want to do one half going one way, and the other half going the other way, I began with row 7 of the pattern so along the middle of the shawl the petals would meet.

Here are some pics to try and help you to see my vision:

This is the Snowdrop style and it will be the top half of the shawl:


















This is the Tulip style and it will be the bottom half :

















I want the two to meet in the middle so the Snowdrop and the Tulip become a mirror image of each other along the middle row. I am going to sew the beads onto the little dots to the side of the flowers. Are you with me so far?

Okay, so this is what the pattern says for row 7 : (make flower stem and start new petals) *Sl 1, K2tog, psso, YO, K1, YO* rpt bet *'s (there are 2 of these "rpt bet *'s" between the ring markers), end Sl 1, K2tog, psso, YO.

So. That is what I did, and it didn't match. So I looked at the chart (I'm more of a knitter who prefers words to charts, although now I realise that charts have their merits) and LO!:












Now as unfamiliar as I am with charts, I recognized this as a YO symbol. Hmm... curious...The pattern:




No YO. Okay, I'm not going crazy right? So, I started over, this time using the YO, and YEA! It worked!


So, I learned two valuable lessons:

1) Always compare the chart to the pattern (if there is a chart) to make sure they match up.

and

2) If you are doing a pattern that requires you to cast on more than 300 sts., check the pattern before you get to row 14 and discover your error. According to my calculations I had completed over 4000 sts before I realised the error of my ways. Sigh. Valuable lessons, hard taught.

Anyhoo,


TTFN and KEEP KNITTING!

No comments: