Sunday, November 19, 2006

Knitters of the world unite...

I had a strange revelation yesterday. I was knitting (working on the tassled fez) in Harvey's and no one was looking at me like I was growing a second head. Perhaps this is because I look like I'm crazy and unstable and no one wishes to alarm me...or just perhaps this is because it's no longer strange to see someone happily clicking away in public. To support this theory I have this story to tell:
Earlier that afternoon I was knitting at the table in my LYS, when these two young women walked in. Obviously novice knitters, they wished to make a scarf moving beyond just the knit stitch. So they were shown these fantastic scarf designs using K1P1 rib and fell in love. After a brief lesson into the wonders of purling, one girl purchased some wool and needles, and they both were off down the street. A while later I was walking down Bank St. and I passed a Tim Hortons (what a surprise here in Canada) and I glanced in the window and saw those two girls. The one had her needles and wool out and was happily casting on while her friend watched carefully.

So...dear readers I tell you: Take back the knit! Fear not that others will think you need to be locked away...Perhaps those stares are not in horror but rather speculation as to what you are doing...and maybe...just maybe...they will learn how to knit as well. Wouldn't the world be a wonderful place if everyone knew how to knit?

Anyhoo...enough rambling, on to projects. I have only one completed right now...a pair of socks for my boyfriend (who will not get them until Christmas...this way if the Alpaca scarf doesn't get finished, I'll still have a present for him) :

I've used a Regia sock yarn and just a simple sock pattern. I think they turned out rather well.
TTFN and remember to TAKE BACK THE KNIT!

No comments: