Saturday, June 9, 2007

HAPPY WWKIP DAY!!!!!

For those of you who don't know, WWKIP stands for World-Wide Knit In Public Day! A day when knitters everywhere pick up their sticks and take to the streets to do their thing.
I started out my day by mailing off the Stitch Markers for the exchange:



I figure I can show a picture, since it isn't very clear, and my partners don't know which one is for them.


So, for KIP day, I:

Knit at the bus stop,

Knit on the bus,

Knit while walking from the bus stop to work (that was rather interesting, one lady stopped dead in the middle of the sidewalk and just stared).

Then while I was knitting during my break at work, someone commented that my WIP matched my skirt. I looked down and:



I'll be...! Martha Stewart would be proud. I managed to co-ordinate my knitting project to my outfit (ain't I talented?).

While I knit on the bus on the way home from work, I noticed something: As crowded as public transit can get, an almost sure fire way to get two seats to yourself is to knit. There were people standing in the aisle, but I had a free seat next to me. No one dared sit next to the crazy woman daring to knit in public! (I think I'm on to something here)

So now I'm finishing WWKIP Day by sitting out on my balcony and working on the shawl:



That's how it looks so far,

and here's a close-up of the pattern:



When I get a little further along I'll take a shot of the center row to show how nicely the two sides match up, it's a little hard to see until I get a full flower done.

TTFN and KEEP KNITTING! (in public)

3 comments:

sherriknits said...

Good for you for KIP!

I learned to knit continental-style by walking and knitting at the same time. I was thinking about it so much that I just pulled out my sock and started purling while I was walking...and it finally clicked!

knitphomaniac said...

I did my share of knitting in public too - I ended up spending over an hour taking the bus then the subway to downtown Toronto visiting a friend, knitting the whole trip there and back. I realized afterwards that it was WWKIP, which coincided well ;)

Knit My Grits said...

I knit in public daily. Maybe I should sit beside you because everytime I pull out my knitting, someone large sits down beside me and takes over half of my seat preventing me from being able to knit.